VOLUNTEERING AT CHRISTIE GARDENS
Volunteers at Christie Gardens play an important role and are involved in a wide range of activities that directly enhance the overall wellbeing of our residents. Our volunteers come from many walks of life and from all age groups, each with unique skills to share.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Friendly Visiting - Some of our residents may not have family or friends in the area and would enjoy extra company. Volunteers may bring letters or stories to read to residents, help them read emails or letters of their own, or share a cup of tea/coffee.
- Afternoon Tea - Afternoon tea is a weekly program where residents enjoy a moment to reminisce and have a cup of tea. Volunteers are needed to set-up, serve tea, clean up and chat and engage with residents.
- Reading Group - This program involves reading a letter, an article from a magazine, newspaper or a short story from a play or book with a group of residents. Reading Groups give residents an opportunity to interact with others, discuss what they have been reading and to participate in a stimulating intellectual activity.
- Painting/Art - Share your love for art in one of our art and painting classes. Volunteers are welcome to join or even teach a class and share their expertise to our budding resident artists.
- Gentle Fitness - Support wellness and healthy living by leading a gentle fitness class to our residents.
- Trips - Residents enjoy participating in a variety of outings and may require assistance during these trips. They would enjoy the opportunity to interact with a friend. Volunteers are needed to assist those in wheelchairs engage with their surroundings.
- Playing a Musical Instrument - Musical entertainers are always a welcome addition to Christie Gardens. If you enjoy singing or playing a musical instrument, your talent would be greatly appreciated by our residents.
- Worship Services Assistance - Residents often need assistance getting to and from programs like worship service and hymn sings. Helping residents turn pages in the hymn books or sitting with them during a program can also be of benefit.
- Computer Support - Many of our residents could use help learning how to integrate modern technologies into their lives. Volunteers are needed to help seniors on a one-to-one basis by teaching them how to improve their computer literacy and to use computer technologies such as laptops, iPads and email, etc.
We are always open to hearing from you about any unique skills you would like to share. Click here to read what one of our volunteers has to say about his volunteering experience at Christie Gardens.
If you have an idea about how you would like to contribute, please don't hesitate to contact us. All programs in our monthly calendars welcome volunteer participation.
Should you be interested in a particular program, please let us know!
Click here to learn more about how to become a volunteer at Christie Gardens.